- About Us
- Learning and Teaching
- Sixth Form
- Open Evening
- How to apply
- Latest News
- Curriculum/Course Information
- Frank & Virginia Wood Trust Fund
- Our Facilities
- Progression to Higher Education, 2011/2012
- Sixth Form Bursary Fund
- Sixth Form Dress Code
- Sixth Form Handbooks
- Sixth Form Prospectus
- The Sixth Form Team
- Useful Links
- Year 9 Options
- Year 11
- Accelerated Reader
- Anti-Bullying Week (November 2012)
- Events for Students
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Internet Safety
- Lower School Council
- Student Voice
- Work Related Learning
- Year 8 Options
- Academy Uniform
- Term Dates
- Letters to parents
- Thank you for your feedback!
- Year 7
- Year 8
- Year 9
- Year 10
- Year 11
- Advice for parents & carers on the internet
- Events for Parents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Homework Expectations
- Pabulum Menus
- Pupil Premium
- School Day
- Torch Transition Programme
- Whole School Literacy and DEAR
- SBA Successes
- 2012 School Games
- All Island Mock Trial Competition Winners
- Daisy Faithfull meets the Queen
- Global Rock
- Guys and Dolls Performances
- Hampshire Interschool cycling competition
- Inspiring Excellence Programme
- Music Success
- National Indoor Rowing Championships
- Rowing Successes
- SBA dominate in U15 Rugby Match
- Sandown Bay goes Wild at the Bestival!
- Sandown Claim ‘The College Fitness Challenge Trophy 2012’
- Sandown Welcomes Chloe Rogers, Olympic Bronze Medallist
- Sixth Form Academy Awards Evening
- U12 Girls' Football IOW Champions
- U13 Girls' Cricket South West Regional Indoor Finals
- U16 Netball Hampshire and Isle of Wight Champions
- Winners! Best Musical, Island Amateur Theatre Awards
- Year 13 Performing Arts Students Light Up Blackgang Chine
- Yellow House Walk
- Contact Us
It’s very simple for the students to use - a short test gives every child a precise reading level to show them which books to choose. The pupil chooses a book for which is there is an Accelerated Reader quiz from the main School library in East School or the dedicated Accelerated Reader Library in North School..
Once the pupil has read the book, they take a quick computer-based quiz. The quizzes are fun and encourage motivation and enjoyment. The program automatically prints out a report showing how well the pupil has performed- a report which may be shared with parents, tutors, librarians and teachers.
At Sandown Bay Academy, the pupils have a fortnightly Library/English lesson in the AR Library to guarantee time choosing books and addressing any problems. AR quizzed books are available in both libraries and may be requested and reserved through the online library catalogue. Reading Practice is also supported by the Drop Everything and Read programme run within the school. The majority of books within the AR scheme are fiction but some non-fiction is also quizzed allowing students to accumulate points and practise reading across the curriculum. The Library also provides many books outside the AR scheme which encourage the students to explore the wide world of literature available to them throughout their school life.
Accelerated Reader helps to:
- Give pupils in-class guided independent reading practice needed to become successful readers.
- Inspire the love of reading in all pupils, including reluctant readers.
- Build pupils’ self-confidence and develop self-directed learners.
- Guide pupils to read books at their appropriate level to maximise confidence and improvement. Improve pupils’ critical-thinking skills.
- Boost pupils’ performance in all academic areas. Improve pupils’ attendance and reduce discipline problems.
Tutors, Head of Year, Librarians, Parents and Teachers all encourage the students in their reading practice and progress with regular reports and updates.
To view more information about Accelerated Reader click here
Please click here to access our library catalogue
Quote of the Week
Be the change that you want to see in the world.